Okay, so I know like, 25 words now.

Started by Ram8113, January 12, 2010, 04:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ram8113

But I really don't feel like I'm getting anywhere and unless I'm mistaken, the language only has about 500 words which makes it hard to actually talk about anything in Na'vi.

I'm not actually trying to learn the grammar yet and may never try to just because it seems really complicated. The most important thing to me right now is learning words and putting them together using english grammar.

I know this will never be a true spoken language but will it ever actually become a language at all? And is starting off just by learning words and not vocab even a good idea? I've tried a few of the worksheets but I still don't feel ready for them yet.

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Well the grammar is arguably the most important part of any language. It's all very fine knowing how to say a few bits and pieces, but knowing how to weave them together is what really counts.

There is a linguistic terms crash course which helps people who are new to languages understand some of the lingo and the Na'vi Language Pocket guide is very useful too. After that I suggest moving on to some of the worksheets (I found Skxawng's to be particularly good) and having a read of Taronyu's dictionary and inflections guide for a bit more depth.

I think one of the most important things is don't rush yourself. Your goal here is to learn, not to just plow through worksheets like we all did in high school. Don't just memorise the affixes, really understand what they mean and why we have to use them. This will make learning Na'vi much more satisfying. Also don't be worried if you feel like you're learning more English than Na'vi, it's something everyone goes through when they learn a second language. :P
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

The Na'vi grammar is definatly the most important part and is what makes it unique from any other language in the world.

And yes, yes it will become a true spoken language no matter what you naysayers say.

You can even set your Google language to Klingon if you really wanted.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 12, 2010, 04:59:27 PM
The Na'vi grammar is definatly the most important part and is what makes it unique from any other language in the world.

Not really. Russian (and I think Latin? Or is Latin the opposite) among others use a case system as well. I think what makes Na'vi unique from any other language in the world bar Elvish and Klingon is simply the fact that it is a fictional constructed language.

Although I will agree that the grammar is the most important part of a language, but that goes for any language, not just Na'vi. English was without thought grammar what.
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

I recommend you learn at least enough of the grammar to put together simple phrases. That way, when you learn new words you can try them out in a sentence, conjugate them, etc. Surely you won't feel like you're getting anywhere until you can put together that first sentence?

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 12, 2010, 05:09:01 PM
Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 12, 2010, 04:59:27 PM

Not really. Russian (and I think Latin? Or is Latin the opposite) among others use a case system as well. I think what makes Na'vi unique from any other language in the world bar Elvish and Klingon is simply the fact that it is a fictional constructed language.

Although I will agree that the grammar is the most important part of a language, but that goes for any language, not just Na'vi. English was without thought grammar what.

What my meaning is that Frommer took little bits of grammar from many different languages and not all from the same one. The Language lord Frommer created is unique from any other on earth.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 12, 2010, 05:15:30 PM
What my meaning is that Frommer took little bits of grammar from many different languages and not all from the same one. The Language lord Frommer created is unique from any other on earth.

Can't disagree with that. It's also got a number of interesting features that you won't see in many of the most popular languages today such as the tripartite case system, the dual and trial pronouns, the adpositions and free word order, etc.

Ateyo te Kellett

I have been picking out 25 words each day and just looked at them for an hour or two. and now i know them. though I haven't really started to train on the grammar. it's really hard to do it when your first language isn't english. I have to look up alot of words and I have even translated alot of it to swedish.

probably gonna start with the infixes, prefixes and suffixes this weekend

Eight

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 12, 2010, 05:09:01 PM
I think what makes Na'vi unique from any other language in the world bar Elvish and Klingon is simply the fact that it is a fictional constructed language.
It's not a fictional language - it's a fictional setting. If the language wasn't real then we wouldn't be able to learn it. :)

Also, you might find it interesting to know that there are thousands upon thousands of constructed languages - including Esperanto which was conceived to actually be used by real people in the real world.

The "uniqueness" of a language is essentially the particular combinations of grammar and style.

Quote from: Melaidhrin
it's really hard to do it when your first language isn't english.
I'm assuming you mean that all the best resources for learning Na'vi haven't been translated to Swedish yet? Be careful, you've just volunteered yourself for a job. ;)

Ateyo te Kellett

Quote from: Eight on January 13, 2010, 03:19:54 AM
I'm assuming you mean that all the best resources for learning Na'vi haven't been translated to Swedish yet? Be careful, you've just volunteered yourself for a job. ;)

yeah. it's hard since everything is using hard english. Im only 17 so I haven't really begun with "hard" English. i have only studied it for 8 years.

but the things I have translated i could post if there were a swedish part to the forum. there is none yet. though. only a document with infixes, suffixes and prefixes is fully translated. and it still uses alot of english. for example i would say " like in English (verb-ING)" so you would still need to have a fair understanding in the English language

Eight

Your English seems good to me.

Maybe one of the mods can sort out somewhere for misc. language posts etc. as I think if you're working on stuff then it's a shame for others not to see it.

BTW I'm sure if you get stuck on a bit of English then people would be happy to try and explain it to help you bring Na'vi to the Swedes. I certainly would.

Ikranä mokri

well ur good at Na'Vi much better than me anyways

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Ateyo te Kellett

Quote from: Eight on January 13, 2010, 04:47:16 AM
Your English seems good to me.

Maybe one of the mods can sort out somewhere for misc. language posts etc. as I think if you're working on stuff then it's a shame for others not to see it.

BTW I'm sure if you get stuck on a bit of English then people would be happy to try and explain it to help you bring Na'vi to the Swedes. I certainly would.

irayo, ma Eight

yes. probably. if the mods make a part of the forums for us swedes i'd be happy to post my parts.

Quote from: Twonyu Ikranä on January 13, 2010, 04:57:04 AM
well ur good at Na'Vi much better than me anyways

Irayo, ma Twonyu Ikranä. keep training and you will get better

Ram8113

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna get started on grammar, but I'm gonna take it slow.