• Welcome to Learn Na'vi Community.

Translation help for Avatar novel; Recombinant Wild Lands

Started by JforA, January 20, 2024, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JforA

Though he didn't have his waytelem anymore, he still had the song in his heart and as he sat with eyes shut, those soft notes seeped from his lips.

"'Ongokx sa'lengmì ateyr, ayfizayu oeyä lu ayuk." / "Ma Toruk Makto, ngal rolun oeti." / "Ma Para, nga toläftxu oefpì." / "Ma Kiri, ngal molunge oeti."/ "Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx.

"Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä."

"'Ongokx pxel nì'aw sawtute, oe ke tsun livu Na'viyä hapxì." / "Ma Neytiri, nga lrrtok soli oeru." / "Ma Neteyam, nga tolaron oehu." / "Ma Zack, ngal spolaw oet."/ "Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx."

"Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä."

But here the song ended, torn from his loins by Ardmore and all those moments scattered across the floor. No new waytelem was made for you can't take root in concrete but he still had the words ready.

"Quaritch you stole me." / "Ardmore you robbed me." / "Sully family you forgot me." / "Without Kiri my song is no more."

So making progress and I incorporated Spider's waytelem song in Na'vi thanks to the poet Toliman. This snippet for Recombinant Wild Lands is featured right.
For readers, I want to make sure I have an exact translation of the lyrics since I offered my English one as a sort of backdrop to work off of. So how does "lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä" fully translate in English?
Also the song continues into the last section I hadn't posted yet, which is why it's not translated.
Kernel Kwartikx oeyä yawnetu

Toliman

Nice, I will try to translate that new part :)

Quote from: JforA on February 24, 2024, 06:21:32 PMSo how does "lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä" fully translate in English?
"Great joy is in your heart" :)

JforA

Quote from: Toliman on February 25, 2024, 09:02:00 AMNice, I will try to translate that new part :)

Quote from: JforA on February 24, 2024, 06:21:32 PMSo how does "lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä" fully translate in English?
"Great joy is in your heart" :)

Oh that is beautiful, I love that line a whole lot more. Thank you <3

Toliman

JforA

"Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä. (My child of the forest, great joy is in your heart.)"

What's really interesting about this verse is that it comes across like Spider is singing from Eywa's perspective.

Toliman

Yeah, you are right. Although it was not originaly intended, it's true :) This verse was not too easy to make, but I would say it's good :)

Toliman

Okay, there are that last lines :)

QuoteQuaritch you stole me
Ardmore you robbed me
Sully family you forgot me
Without Kiri my song is no more
Ma Quaritch, ngal kämolunge oet
Ma Ardmore, ngal fmolong oet
Ma soaia Sullyä, ayngal tswola' oet
Kiriluke way oeyä ke tsun fkeytivok

JforA

Kiriluke, ohh that is so emotional. You did an excellent job Toliman. Thank you so much.

Toliman

JforA

Spider's Songcord fully translated thanks to Toliman.  :ikran:

Though he didn't have his waytelem anymore, he still had the song in his heart and as he sat with eyes shut, those soft notes seeped from his lips.

"'Ongokx sa'lengmì ateyr, ayfizayu oeyä lu ayuk. (Born in white. My ancestors were shadows.)" / "Ma Toruk Makto, ngal rolun oeti. (Toruk Makto, you found me.)" / "Ma Para, nga toläftxu oefpì. (To the Para's, you weaved me.)" / "Ma Kiri, ngal molunge oeti. (To Kiri you brought me)"/ "Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx. (And my song was born.)"

"Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä. (My child of the forest, great joy is in your heart.)"

"'Ongokx pxel nì'aw sawtute, oe ke tsun livu Na'viyä hapxì. (Born a Skyperson, I cannot be Na'vi.)" / "Ma Neytiri, nga lrrtok soli oeru. (Neytiri, you smiled on me.)" / "Ma Neteyam, nga tolaron oehu. (Neteyam, you hunted with me.)"/ "Ma Zack, ngal spolaw oet. (Zack, you trusted in me.)/ "Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx. (And my song was born.)"

But here the song ended, torn from his loins by Ardmore and all those moments scattered across the floor. No new waytelem was made for you can't take root in concrete but he still had the words ready.

"Ma Quaritch, ngal kämolunge oet (Quaritch, you took me)." / "Ma Ardmore, ngal fmolong oet (Ardmore, you robbed me.)" / "Ma soaia Sullyä, ayngal tswola' oet (Sully family, you forgot me.)" / "Kiriluke way oeyä ke tsun fkeytivok (Without Kiri my song is no more.)"

He opened his eyes and stared vacantly at the straight, polished boards of his floor in abject defeat. "I'm sorry." Slipped out of his hanging mouth.

Toliman

JforA

Okay! Things are getting exciting. I am in need of word for something pertaining to the uniltaron ritual.
During Jake's Dream Hunt, Neytiri painted his body with white lines and it feels like she's preparing a body for passage into the underworld. Now because of the spiritual importance of this event, I think the Omatikaya would have a specific word for this part of the ceremony and I'm looking to invent a word for it.
Dream lines, spirit paint, connections to the All-Mother, The white pathways, etc -- something to indicate the purpose for this body paint.
--
Throw in your ideas, love to hear them.

Toliman

Yeah, definitelly there should be word for that. I have no idea for any short and nice word for that but I will try to invent something :)

Toliman

Okay, I have only one idea: Sreuniltaron or Uniltaronsre - word composed from Uniltaron and preposition sre (= before). Intended meaning is stuff which is executed in time before own Dream Hunt.

JforA

Hmm, Sreuniltaron. Interesting name, it sounds like the general term for all preliminaries before the the event.

Toliman

JforA

Quote from: Toliman on March 19, 2024, 12:08:56 AMYeah. I have not better idea yet.

What about, tireafya'o? Can this word by altered?

Toliman

JforA

Toliman