na'vi painting colour?

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, June 15, 2011, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Is there anyone who know where I can get the same colour as the na'vi has? I want to paint me from face to feet, I appreciate it if somebody knows where I can get it :)

Ikran Eyktan

http://www.reelmagik.com/REELMAGIK/PAX_Paint.html

Avatar and Deep Blue for the stripes.  Very expensive but produces fantastic results.  I had mine on for 2 days and it was essentially immune to water and skin movement.  No cracking/smudging at all.  Took some effort to remove too.

Iv never attempted to make this grade of PAX paint for myself.

Tirea Paluan

I used Mehron Clown White Makeup and Mehron liquid blue makeup mixed together.You can find them on Ebay or most makeup supply stores, the clown white comes in an 8oz tub for about $16.00 and its enough for about 3 full body applications when mixed with enough of the liquid blue paint. Once sealed with baby powder it will last a whole day with minimal damage. Best part is that its affordable.

Sarah Noel

I'm reposting this info about the paint I use, after updating the information of coarse.

I used water-based cake makeup from Mehron and the specific type was Paradise professional size. From this type of make-up I used a container of the color 'light blue' and two of 'lagoon blue'.

I bought these makeups from a costume store near my house. Here's a website: Paradise Makeup AQ - Larger Professional Size

It's cheaper for me to buy them at the store, but the website offers more colors which could save time because you don't have to mix them. I'd probably recommend "sky" instead of "light blue" if you go this route.

To make the base color I took a container of light blue and lagoon blue and took and exacto-knife to them. I cut each cake of make up in half, and swapped 1 of each of the half circles to the other container. Now I have 2 containers that have half lagoon blue, and half light blue. It should look sort of like a half moon. The reason I'm doing this is because one blue is too light for the base and the other is too dark. Now that they're in the same container mixing is much easier. To apply the base to your body, add water and apply with a large paint brush. I use a 2 inch wide paint brush. I used to apply the base with a sponge, but the paintbrush is much easier. I only use one can of "base color" at a time, so I'd now have an extra one for later.

If you get sky I think it would make a good color for the base coat and you won't have to mix, which is sort of a pain. I would have probably done this if my costume store carried that color. EDIT: I recently sampled "sky" and although I haven't used it as a base yet, I'd recommend it much more than the complicated mixing thing I described above, the color's more accurate too I think in my opinion.

Water based make ups take a little getting used to, and adding second coats over large areas are hard because the water from the second coat sort of washes away the first coat, so I normally just try and do a decent first coat and leave it.

After the base coat (which takes a while) I used paintbrushes of various sizes to paint the stripes over already dried areas. For this I only used the color Lagoon Blue.

I painted everything myself except the stripes on my back which I normally have a friend do.

-Other tips: Don't use nylon sponges for the base, they sort of suck.
-don't get wet unless you want the make up to come off, it comes off real easily in the shower though which is nice
- consider a LIGHT coating of barrier spray or hairspray to help preserve the paint job, if you use too much it bonds to the large amount of barrier spray and starts to flake off. I've learned this from experience

If there are any other questions, don't hesitate .

Jane MacMillan

Ben Nye also makes excellent makeup. My preferred source for theatrical makeup and supplies is www.fxsupply.com.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

yeah, I finally found some makeup colours on the norwegian ebay

Article price: 42.90 NOK/$7.85/5.46 EURO
delivering to Norway(from UK): 31.61 NOK/$5.79/4.02 EURO
Price including shipping: 74.51 NOK/$13.64/9.48 EURO

I found too a spear

Article Price: 99 NOK/$18.12/12.60 EURO
delivering to Norway(from UK): 36 NOK/$6.59/4.58 EURO
Price including shipping: 135 NOK/$24.71/17.18 EURO