"Natives of the Windy Forest" by Willow Smith

Started by meep, March 22, 2022, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meep

Good afternoon. About two days ago, I learned that the lyrics to "Natives of the Windy Forest" by WILLOW were in Na'vi and, furthermore, incomplete on every website I could find. I'd like to do this song justice and finish recording the lyrics, but I've been scouring the vocabulary list for hours and have had no luck.

I'll just throw this into the wind—if anyone out there finds a scrap of interest in this project, do you recognize any of the Na'vi words in this song?

eejmensenikbenhet

Kaltxì ma meep ulte zola'u nìprrte'! Welcome to our forums.

I hadn't heard of the song, but I went and listened but that couldn't really help me any further so I also googled some of the lyrics. I think the most accurate lyrics I could find were on Genius.

Basically the Na'vi lyrics translate to:

Eywa meuianga'
Honourable Eywa (Eywa being the omnipresent deity to the Na'vi people, sort of like 'Mother Earth')
Tsmukan sì tsmuke tireapängkxo
Brother and sister commune (to commune means to communicate spiritually, from tirea spirit and pängkxo chat)

This second phrase could also be:
Smukan sì smuke tireapängkxo
Brothers and sisters commune
It's a bit smushed together the way she sings it, so it's hard to differentiate, as she also seems to sing *sireapänkxo (not a Na'vi word).

Tìyawn
(the) love

Meuianga' Eywa
Honourable Eywa (word order is free in Na'vi, so either way around it means the same)
Meuianga' Eywa nìawnomum
Honourable Eywa, as is known

I would not have gotten most of these lyrics if not for the Genius text, because the pronounciation is quite bad ;D. In Na'vi a vowel is a separate syllable and strings of vowels like in meuianga' should not be slurred together. Also, stress is quite important in Na'vi and though in song this can be hard to do, it also sounds off. If you go to dict-navi.com, you can find audio examples of all the words in these lyrics so you can hear how to properly pronounce them.

All in all I think that it's nice to have music with Na'vi lyrics from mainstream artists, but with her families ties to the movie industry, it would've been super awesome if she took some lessons from the Avatar actors to make the song even more awesome, but oh well, oe fpìl futa ayoeng tsun unil sivi nì'aw...

Don't know if maybe the mods want to move this thread to the music section?