Main Menu

PROTO-Na'vi

Started by Swoka Swizaw, September 04, 2011, 09:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

Lately, I've been contemplating (and strangely infatuated with) the future of English. Considering, right now, how it appears like our collective futures are in some question, more conlangers seem to have taken an interest in future versions of their own languages; sort of like a heritage thing. Anyway, I started to, then, contemplate the future of the Na'vi language. Na'vi, unto itself, appears, to me, like a relatively early language, most reminiscent of ancient Chinese, which had a considerably large inventory and free order, phonetically. If this is in some way true, Na'vi has a lot evolving it CAN do. It can lose some phones, gain a few, lose a few clusters - that sort of thing. Like I said, a lot of changes still to happen.

Of course, where there is a future, there is too a past. If Na'vi is like what I've proposed, it should have developed a free phonetic order. I can't say what Na'vi is (was) without Frommer's approval, but I can speculate: there were no fricative-initial clusters as fricatives could still end syllables and [ʊ] was a part of the vowel inventory before it fused with <u>. I also propose that any voiced phones developed later and have never followed the same rules as their voiceless counterparts. These are just some ideas, but, of course, there's nothing without Frommer. So, anyway, these are my thoughts...do you all have any ideas along these lines?

'Oma Tirea

I too have been doing a lot of contemplating of the Proto-Na'vi phonology under the hood, which surely took place within several millenia in the past.  Specifically when is not certain.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

wm.annis

Sticking with human language as the model for language change, [ŋ] is unlikely to have developed millennia ago, especially as a syllable onset.  It is a rather unstable sound.

'Oma Tirea

Ngaru tìyawr, slight wording issue.  Fixed above.

Anyone who would like to speculate a timeline for my above post, feel free to do so.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma 'Oma, how did you manage to work this out? I am trying to recall what linguistics background you have. But nevertheless, it is amazing.

One very interesting thing about Na'vi over any 'Rrtan language is the long history the language has, as no 'Rrtan society (or even civilization as we know it) has existed as long as the Na'vi have.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]