The complete u / ù list for Reef Na’vi

Started by Toliman, July 28, 2023, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

The complete u / ù list for Reef Na'vi
http://naviteri.org/2023/07/the-complete-u-u-list-for-reef-navi/
Posted on July 23, 2023 by Pawl

Kaltxì nìmun, ma frapo!

Here, at long last, is the complete list of Reef Na'vi words with u or ù. As we now know, Reef Na'vi (RN) distinguishes u (as in English food) and ù (as in English good), while Forest Na'vi (FN) does not. So for every word in FN that contains a u, we have to find out whether the corresponding word in RN has u or ù. This list allows us to do that.

A few things to note:

To make the differences stand out clearly, I've used boldface for the words that have ù.

If the only u in a word is at the end, it's not on this list, since final u's are never (well, hardly ever!) ù. We may eventually see an exception or two to this rule, but there aren't any in the vocabulary we've had so far.

In keeping with the rules of RN pronunciation, I've omitted the tìftang if it occurs between vowels. So, for example, on this list the word for 'sentence' is written lìukìng, not lì'ukìng, since that's how it's pronounced in RN. Other pronunciation differences from FN, however, have not been indicated.

Finally, for those of you who know Fya'o Payä well, see if you agree with me about how the Reef people pronounce the words for 'sanctuary' and 'tulkun.' I hear them as utùru and tùlkun respectively, but if you hear them differently, please let me know!

Also, if you notice any errors or inconsistencies in this list, please let me know that as well.

For convenience, here are two docs you can download, one with the complete list you see below and the other with only the words containing ù.
http://naviteri.org/2023/07/the-complete-u-u-list-for-reef-navi/

Syatikrel

Syatikrel [sja.ˈtik̚.ɾɛl] (Lì'fya leNa'vi Nä'rìngä)/Shatikrel [ʃa.ˈtik̚.ɾɛl] (Lì'fya leNa'vi Wione)
SatIqrel [ʂɑ.tʰɪqʰ.ˈrɛl] (tlhIngan Hol)
Shatikrel [ʃə.ˈt̪i.kɾ̥ɛl̪]
Oel teyra tawsìpit aean ke txula set slä tsun hìkrrmaw fu maw krr atxan.

Tìng oeru tstxot Misal ulte syaw oeru Satibabbi.