Muntxa (and all of it's variations)

Started by Swoka Swizaw, February 06, 2010, 10:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

"Mated" in Na'vi has given me some trouble, but, also, some great material to ponder.

Muntxa means "mated." Tìmuntxa would, then, mean "mating," yes? If this logic is sound, would it be alright to assume that tìmuntxa si means "to mate?" If you added -yu, you would get tìmuntxasiyu, "one who mates (or whatever single word in English means the same)." What about "a mate?" Since -tu can't be attached to a verb, would "a mate" be tìmuntxatu?

I hope the last part makes sense, because that really is my question. Irayo...

wm.annis

Quote from: Swoka Swizaw on February 06, 2010, 10:00:26 AMMuntxa means "mated." Tìmuntxa would, then, mean "mating," yes?

Perhaps, but probably not, I think.  It seems clear that muntxa is an adjective.  When other adjectives take the tì- prefix, the meaning is more an abstract noun.  If anything, tìmuntxa would mean "matedness" or something like that.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: wm.annis on February 06, 2010, 10:05:43 AM
Quote from: Swoka Swizaw on February 06, 2010, 10:00:26 AMMuntxa means "mated." Tìmuntxa would, then, mean "mating," yes?

Perhaps, but probably not, I think.  It seems clear that muntxa is an adjective.  When other adjectives take the tì- prefix, the meaning is more an abstract noun.  If anything, tìmuntxa would mean "matedness" or something like that.

OK. That helps. But is there, then, a way to produce the words that I've suggested?

It does really make me wonder why yawn DOESN'T mean "to love." Tìyawn (love) is an abstact noun, right?

wm.annis

Quote from: Swoka Swizaw on February 06, 2010, 10:17:14 AMOK. That helps. But is there, then, a way to produce the words that I've suggested?

I will not guess on a verb for "to mate."  The noun "mate" might be muntxatu, based on what Frommer has said about -tu.