Na'viteri: a listening comprehension exercise

Started by Unil Akawng, July 25, 2010, 06:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unil Akawng

Quote from: Kä'eng on July 25, 2010, 01:55:12 PM
I think this is "ulte eviru peng"; I definitely hear a v, not a w.
Indeed, it's a "v". Besides, Grace probably told her stories to the entire class, not personally to Txewì, so eviru it is. Corrected.

Quote from: Prrton on July 25, 2010, 11:11:22 PM
The word is «natkenong» and means "for example/as an example". It is derived from «na.t(ì).kenong».
Irayo, fìlì'u lesar lu nìtxan! Famrelti leykolatem oel.
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

Plumps

Carborundum raised an interesting question and I'd like to hear your thoughts about that

Quote from: Carborundum on July 28, 2010, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: Plumps on July 28, 2010, 11:19:02 AM

Oe piveng ayngar nì'it teri Txewì...

Now that you've brought that sentence up however, I have to admit that I'm confused about his usage of the subjunctive in peng. What's its function there?

Unil Akawng

Hmm, probably it just suggests a degree of politeness? "I would [like to] tell you about Txewì", as opposed to "I will tell you...".
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

Prrton

Quote from: Plumps on July 28, 2010, 12:49:42 PM
Carborundum raised an interesting question and I'd like to hear your thoughts about that

Now that you've brought that sentence up however, I have to admit that I'm confused about his usage of the subjunctive in peng. What's its function there?

Quote from: Unil Akawng on July 28, 2010, 12:53:34 PM
Hmm, probably it just suggests a degree of politeness? "I would [like to] tell you about Txewì", as opposed to "I will tell you...".

I believe it may carry the nuance of "(please let) me tell you a bit about Txewì..."

Spanish might do it similarly with the subjunctive:

«(Dejeme) que hable un poco acerca de Txewì...»

The Spanish «dejar» or English "let/allow" (Na'vi «tung») is just omitted because it's not necessary??

Carborundum

Quote from: Prrton on July 28, 2010, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: Plumps on July 28, 2010, 12:49:42 PM

Quote from: Unil Akawng on July 28, 2010, 12:53:34 PM

I believe it may carry the nuance of "(please let) me tell you a bit about Txewì..."

Spanish might do it similarly with the subjunctive:

«(Dejeme) que hable un poco acerca de Txewì...»

The Spanish «dejar» or English "let/allow" (Na'vi «tung») is just omitted because it's not necessary??
Seems like a reasonable theory to my non-linguist self.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on July 28, 2010, 01:13:26 PMI believe it may carry the nuance of "(please let) me tell you a bit about Txewì..."

That was my interpretation, too — an extension of the optative subjunctive.

Lance R. Casey

(Finally got around to listening to this)

Speaking of the subjunctive, I would have expected it here:

New Txewìl futa fyeyntu slayu a krr, po nawma taronyu sì tsamsiyu layu na sempul.

Srake mllte aynga?

// Lance R. Casey

Plumps

That is a very weird construction indeed ... combination of modal, subordinate clause and comparison ... hek nìtxan nì'aw :P

Prrton

Quote from: Plumps on August 09, 2010, 02:29:46 PM
That is a very weird construction indeed ... combination of modal, subordinate clause and comparison ... hek nìtxan nì'aw :P

Txanstan!

I would also expect the subjunctive in this case, but there has been more than one time in which I had the subjunctive somewhere and he asked why. Especially in post-TXO scenarios...

The «NEW» in the first part of the whole thing would seem to mandate it here... nìngay hek.

Ftiafpi

Just getting around to this as well. I've listened to it in my car many times but never broken it down.

What's the deal with "ko pivlltxe"?

Also, still can't figure out what this means exactly: Po plltxe san tì'efumì oeyä sutekip nìwotx, ftxey Na'vi ftxey Sawtute, lu sìltsan, lu kawng sìk. I get the gist but that first clause doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, here is my translation of the text for my own personal benefit but I'm sure others wouldn't mind seeing it as well:

Prrton

Quote from: Ftiafpi on August 09, 2010, 10:22:34 PM
Just getting around to this as well. I've listened to it in my car many times but never broken it down.

Also, still can't figure out what this means exactly: Po plltxe san tì'efumì oeyä sutekip nìwotx, ftxey Na'vi ftxey Sawtute, lu sìltsan, lu kawng sìk. I get the gist but that first clause doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, here is my translation of the text for my own personal benefit but I'm sure others wouldn't mind seeing it as well:

I'm pretty sure I hear «kop (also) pivlltxe». The «-p» is 'unreleased' like the final «-k» in «Loak». This is the norm for the Na'vi final «-t» as well.

My 2¢ re: the nuances of the translation in my version of your spoiler below. I think you got it all except the context of Sempul's hatred and the "whether..., or..." thing in Sa'nok's view, which is quite un-English-like in its structure.

The other thing that we have to be careful of coming from Indo-European language (especially English) is the tense and aspect marking on the verbs. Everything about Grace in this story is in the past, but the Na'vi verbs don't always show that. It's important in any time thread to find where the (English) tense is established and then watch for it to change again to something that is overtly different. If the interstitial verbs are unmarked for tense/time, then they are probably referring the the tense that was established by the first overt marking.

;D

Plumps

What Prrton said and a minor addition ;)

Ftiafpi

Ahhh, yea, those make a lot more sense.

Yeah, as I was falling asleep last night I realized I should have followed the aspect all the way through to figure out the English tense as it made more sense for most of that to be in the past tense.

Tanri

Kaltxì ma sulfätu lì'fyari leNa'vi,
i have a question about a word "natkenong".

Listening to the Karyu Pawl, i am unable to pick up "t" in the middle of natkenong.
It sounds to me like "na kenong" or "nat kenong" with unreleased "t" at the end of "nat".

I found this word in vurvi aylì'uä ta Taronyu, with unknown sourcing. Is natkenong confirmed by Frommer?
"Na kenong", although grammatically incorrect, has the right meaning too.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Kemaweyan

Natkenong is word created from na + tìkenong :)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Prrton on August 09, 2010, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on August 09, 2010, 10:22:34 PM

I'm pretty sure I hear «kop (also) pivlltxe». The «-p» is 'unreleased' like the final «-k» in «Loak». This is the norm for the Na'vi final «-t» as well.

My 2¢ re: the nuances of the translation in my version of your spoiler below. I think you got it all except the context of Sempul's hatred and the "whether..., or..." thing in Sa'nok's view, which is quite un-English-like in its structure.

The other thing that we have to be careful of coming from Indo-European language (especially English) is the tense and aspect marking on the verbs. Everything about Grace in this story is in the past, but the Na'vi verbs don't always show that. It's important in any time thread to find where the (English) tense is established and then watch for it to change again to something that is overtly different. If the interstitial verbs are unmarked for tense/time, then they are probably referring the the tense that was established by the first overt marking.

;D